Apparently former major league catcher and current Baltimore Orioles pre- and postgame commentator Rick Dempsey thinks that domestic violence is comedic gold. Here is the exchange he had with the wife of Oriole Jay Gibbons when she came into the booth to promote a fundraiser fighting domestic violence:
• Dempsey: "Laura, will this kind of help Jay in the domestic violence area? If he doesn't start getting a few more hits, you might grab him around the neck and rough him up a little bit. [Is] this money going to go to help him a little bit with maybe some of the hospital bills or something like that?"
• Giuliani: "I don't know, Rick. I don't think I'm encouraging that. I'm definitely not -"
• Dempsey: "Not going there?"
• Giuliani: "Nope, not going there."
• Dempsey: "All right, I'll domestically violate him if he doesn't start getting some more hits."
Now there is a time and a place for making domestic violence jokes, like out on the golf course or on Mother's Day, but a live baseball broadcast is probably not one of them. Luckily this blog is one of those places. What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing, you already told her twice.
(Transcript courtesy of the Baltimore Sun)