Sunday, September 23, 2007

Joba's Poppa


I'm a jerk for writing this, but I'm going to get sick of Joba Chamberlain's father in a hurry. The last time an unsightly dude in a sports crowd got this much air time, it was Kurt Warner's wife.

I should leave the poor guy alone. He is a Native American (I'm told they got kind of a bum deal) who was stricken with polio as a child. As a result, one side of his body is paralyzed. A single father, he used to have catches with his son, Jim Abbott style, and has helped develop one of the most dominant pitchers in the game. Joba never misses an opportunity to talk about his father in the most adoring terms imaginable. It's about the most heart-warming story in sports today, and here I am shitting on it.

Well, not really. I am not trashing Joba and his father. Rather, I am prematurely whining about the over-coverage that this angle is going to get, when the playoffs come around.

I'm an ass.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

they'll forget about him in time...

Anonymous said...

I heard they can treat Polio now.

Anonymous said...

Yes they can

Anonymous said...

Come to me!

Michael Seff said...

Check out my sports blog, www.pitchingideas.net.

Michael Seff said...

Sorry when I actually read your article I tended to agree. At first site I thought it was some appreciation about Joba and his Dad so I just felt like spamming my blog. But I too am getting sick of that guy, I mean I don't want to say anything I'll regret but never in my life will I fall for a heartwarming story about a Yankee or Red Sox player. I'm just surprised they don't have his dad throw out the first pitch at a game just to try and bring a tear to peoples eyes.