Monday, October 1, 2007

One Game Playoff! (Yawn)

I suppose I should be more jazzed about tonight's one-game playoff between the Padres and Rockies. These games are always a lot of fun. However, I can't shake the feeling that neither of these clubs are as good as the Toronto Bluejays, a team that didn't get within 10 games of a playoff spot in the AL. I don't even think that either team is as good as the Minnesota Twins. Quick, who is the best position player on the Padres? The best starting pitcher on the Rockies? If you're drawing blanks, it is not because you don't know baseball. It's because there aren't any good answers to those questions.

This game reminds me of the weak Big Show/Bossman program the WWF ran back in 1999. Neither party had any real heat, or ability for that matter. The feud had less juice than Ron Artest's record label. However, due to injuries to a couple of the more legitimate main eventers and being in the midst of the annual post-Survivor Series/pre-Royal Rumble lull, this feud actually culminated in a main event at a pay-per-view.

There is a 90% chance that I am going to fall asleep on this game, and I don't really care. The boxscores and highlights will suffice.

P.S. TBS is covering this game and Ernie Johnson is doing the in-studio analysis with Cal Ripken. (Clunky syntax alert!) Cal is every bit as dull as you would expect a man who never missed a day of work to be. I don't care that it is a baseball game. Let Kenny and Charles join Ernie in the studio.

No comments: