Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Almost Amusing Anecdote From Today

I was at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square today for a work conference when I first got word about the Santana trade. SYHD contributor Nocedog texted me as soon as the story broke around 4pm today. I briskly walked out of the conference room to call Noce for more details. As I walked out the door, to my surprise I saw the NY Mets longtime PR man Jay Horowitz walking around the conference floor lobby. Apparently he was there for some MLB charity fundraiser.

"Did the Mets get Johan?!" I excitedly yelled to Horowitz who was about 8 feet from me at the time.

Horowitz looked up at me, gave a terse "no comment", and immediately re-entered the conference room from whence he came.

What are the odds that I would run into the Mets PR guy just minutes after word of the Santana trade broke? I guess 50/50- it either happens or it doesn't.

Later on in the day I had the pleasure of meeting Daryl Strawberry, who was also attending this fundraiser. I shook his hand and we exchanged pleasantries, right before several media outlets crowded him to get some react quotes about the Santana acquisition.

Pretty awesome day.

No comments: