Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A True Epiphany

Last night I was at a friend's house and we had debate about clutchness of baseball players and how certain players are overvalued due to their perceived clutchness when in fact their numbers in "clutch" situations are not appreciably better than their stats in non-clutch situations. Please check out this FJM article for better articulation on the subject. Predictably, David Eckstein's name came up in conversation as a player who is continually overvalued because he is thought of as clutch and gritty. On my way home it hit me- like a lightning bolt of wit reigning down from Mount Olympus (channeling my inner Woody Paige) - David Eckstein shall now be referred to as David Husslehoff. It works on so many levels of mockery- I could barely contain my excitement and shot off a quick email to the Fire Joe Morgan guys urging them to use the nickname in a future article. If it gets a mention, I will feel more validated than I ever have in my entire life.

No comments: