- Good riddance, Joe Torre. And for anybody who says it's going to be weird seeing him in another uniform, get a hold of yourself. Torre didn't have any association with the Yankees until his mid-50s. He had worn several different jerseys for the previous 35 years. Let's not make him Mr. Yankee. Oh and $5 million is an insult? Why isn't anybody giving him shit for being a money hungry jerk?
- Welcome, Joe Girardi. He was a good choice. Girardi has played with several of the Yankees veterans (particularly 3 key potential free agents). He was with the team as an announcer this year, so he is familiar with the new guys. He did a good job with a bunch of youngsters last year in Florida and he inherits a Yankees team going through a bit of a youth movement. It just makes sense on a lot of counts.
- Farewell, A-Rod. I have devoted more doting words to Alex Rodriguez on this site than any other topic. I don't blame him at all for opting out of his contract. He was treated like shit in New York. My mother always told me "Loyalty is a two way street".* A-Rod didn't get any from Yankees fans and he didn't show any in return. I will cheer for him to go 4 for 4 every time he comes to New York and for his team to lose.
- The Yankees absolutely must resign Posada and Pettitte. They should resign Rivera too, but if someone else offers him a 3 year deal they should let him walk.
* I have never actually heard my mother utter the phrase "Loyalty is a two way street". However, such a sentiment was probably a theme of many of my childhood and adolescent lessons. I don't remember. It was kind of a long time ago.