Thursday, December 20, 2007

Be Careful What You Wish For

If there is a more tedious attention whore than Pete Rose it's Curt Schilling. Schilling weighed in on the steroids issue, saying that Clemens should give back the 4 Cy Young Awards he won, while taking PEDs. While I can't stand the messenger, I'm ambivalent toward the message. I suppose it's well within a clean player's right to make such a statement, but it strikes me as somewhat disengenuous.

He has played with Lenny Dykstra and Luis Gonzalez, perhaps the most obvious PED users in the history of the sport. He hasn't said a thing about them. Without LuGo's huge 2001 the D'Backs never would have even made it to the World Series, let alone won a championship or World Series MVP. If Gonzalez ultimately gets exposed, should Schilling return his ring and trophy.

(Full disclosure: I sort of stole the last paragraph from a guy named ThinkBlue on a message board. I would have posted his comments in their entirety, but he was all over the map.)

No comments: