Elements of a boneheaded free agent signing
- Signing a player coming off of an uncharacteristically big year
- Signing a player who is aging out of his prime
- Signing a player who is unlikely to make the difference between contending and not contending, for the life of the contract
- Blocking a player who is younger, cheaper and could be comparatively productive
- Spending a huge chunk of money on a solid, but unspectacular player when you're on a very limited budget.
The Royals signing of Jose Guillen meets an impressive 4 out of 5 of these criteria (just missing #4). This ties the Reds signing of Francisco Cordero (which only lacked #1) for the dumbest free agent signing of the offseason.
There is plenty of time left for some dumb GM to go a perfect 5 for 5.