Friday, December 14, 2007

Mitchell Report

I suppose it's my duty as a sports blogger to comment on the Mitchell Report, although I could not be more underwhelmed with its findings. I already knew Bonds, Sheffield, and Giambi were on the juice. Prior reports had already linked that Clemens, Pettitte, Tejada, and many of the other names to HGH. What earth-shattering revelation do we have here?

I fail to see how this report does any good. It implicates dozens of players, but does nothing to alleviate suspicions about dozens of others. Nobody that had doubts about Albert Pujols, for example, is now convinced that he is clean. The whole process was an exercise in self-flagellation by a commissioner who was ashamed of himself for what happened on his watch. Perhaps the only thing the Mitchell Report accomplishes is clearing Bud Selig's conscience.

No comments: